Hi, I am Ahmet!
I'm a senior staff software engineer at LinkedIn in the Kubernetes-based compute infrastructure group.
Prior to LinkedIn, I have worked at Twitter, Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure, primarily on compute teams, container-based cloud services and open source dev tools (see my prior work).
- Follow me on Mastodon
- Follow me on Twitter
- Read my blog →
- Browse my projects on GitHub
- Watch my talks
If you speak Turkish, check out my YouTube channel. I hope to advance the discourse on infrastructure engineering and systems development, and inspire the next generation of engineers.
Recent articles on blog12/2022 Why Kubernetes secrets take so long to update?→
09/2022 Pitfalls reloading files from Kubernetes Secret & ConfigMap volumes→
06/2021 Did we market Knative wrong?→
06/2021 Serving gRPC+HTTP/2 from the same Cloud Run container→
04/2021 My review of the System Design book→
04/2021 Deploying to Cloud Run with Go→
04/2021 Introducing runsd: Service discovery for Cloud Run→
04/2021 First look at GKE Autopilot→
03/2021 Building a high-scale chat server on Cloud Run→
02/2021 WebSockets best practices for Cloud Run
I worked for Twitter throughout on building out on-premises Kubernetes-based infrastructure and designing some capabilities around programmatic cluster lifecycle management and multi-cluster workload orchestration. I left Twitter along with most of the company.
I worked for Google Cloud from 2017 to 2021 on container-based developer services and platforms like Cloud Run and Kubernetes Engine (GKE). In addition to my internal work, I have built open source projects that help tens of thousands of developers around the world. Some examples from my GitHub profile:
- kubectx : a popular tool to alternate between Kubernetes clusters.
- krew : official plugin manager for kubectl.
- grpc-health-probe : a gRPC health-check tool for Kubernetes.
- Google microservices-demo : Google's reference app for demonstrating cloud-native technologies (also the top-starred GCP repo!)
- kubectl-tree : A tool to explore Kubernetes object hierarchy.
- runsd : missing service discovery layer for Google Cloud Run.
- Cloud Run Button : click-to-deploy any GitHub repo to Google Cloud Run.
I worked for Microsoft Azure from 2012 to 2016. I delivered various open source projects for supporting the Linux ecosystem on Azure compute platform.
During my time at Microsoft, I have started and shipped projects like:
- Azure Go SDK
- Porting of Docker.exe client to Windows
- C#/.NET SDK for Docker
- ASP.NET Official Docker Image
- Azure Container Registry
- docker-machine for Azure